Saturday, September 24, 2011

Managing my laptop after spilling coffee

     Sometimes I looked at my desk, it seemed it didn't belong to a woman in general.  It was a mess with all paper which is recycled from physical mails abound. I recycle paper which is printed on one side and other side is blank. I use the blank side for any note or as printing paper. I felt something would happen on my desk. 

     A few days ago I had a cup of coffee in front of my computer. The bad day has come. I spilled coffee on my computer. What an enjoyable day! I just treated my computer with some coffee. I was stunned and watched my computer shut down itself after 1-2 seconds. I quickly took a piece of paper towel to absorb the coffee from my keyboards and flipped my computer over to get rid of  excess coffee from my computer and then using my cellphone to search on the internet about how to manage spilling coffee on a computer.
                               I removed more than a battery, dvd  and so on.

     After I had done some research, I unplugged the power cord and removed the battery from my computer to avoid a short circuit. So far above steps are easy for a person who doesn’t have any computer hardware knowledge. But the next several steps required people who are not hardware geeks that are brave, calm, and willing to take any risks of further damages.   Personally, I am not a computer geek especial on a laptop but do have some basic computer knowledge and know how to find resources to solve my problems on the internet. The most important thing is I am willing to take the risk and try to fix the problem.  

    After removing some components on the backside, I took the keyboard apart. Actually I spent some time to figure out how to do it. I found there is a K character which indicates the screw is for the keyboard  on the back panel after I removed the keyboard. There was some coffee dripping from the keyboard and some into the computer itself. I cleaned it up and checked to insure no coffee or stain was left on my computer. Next step I used Q-tips with alcohol to clean any coffee mark, then using distilled water or purified water to clean the areas up again.  The final step was to air dry the component completely and then put everything back together. The most important step is don't turn on the computer. Let it dry for at least 24 hours. Some people let it dry for 3 hours. It is up to you, but I would not want to take the risk. It was a hard time for me to wait for 24hours to see if it works. 
    These items are my tools plus alcohol and a computer which can go on line.   

     Actually, it happened in the States. If I was in Taiwan, I would just turn off my computer, unplug the power cord, remove the battery, remove coffee or water, and then take it to a computer shop to have it fixed because of the reasonable labor fee. 
                   


    

1 comment:

  1. Did your laptop work again? It’s a good thing that you quickly looked for solutions online. Also, if you didn’t unplug the power cord right away, your laptop could have been fried. If it didn’t turn on, or had other problems like flickering screen after drying, then it’s time to take it to an expert.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and welcome to leave your comment!